Sorry, nothing in cart.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) as we all know holds similar importance to an online store as food to human body. This analogy fits perfect why? Because human body needs food to function ergo to stay focused ergo to work harder to succeed or compete in life. Speaking about websites, perpetual SEO is required to stay on top of the search results on different search engines (like Google, Yahoo).
Let us keep this article pretty straight forward or more of a cliche with graphics and content. Let us focus only and only on Magento SEO and Magento SEO tips or as often called Magento SEO techniques that can be done in the following ways:
Step 1: Generic SEO
No different than any other SEO, generic SEO has been in existence for decades now and still the results never seize to amaze any of us.
SEO is about a lot of things. A lot of SEO techniques are being practiced by many experts every single day. But there are a few vital techniques that can really impact your online store traffic in a good and bad, both ways.
1) Web Content:
While planning the content for your website always keep in mind the following things:
- Relevant keywords
- Keyword density
- How much of it do you really need?
Tools like Google keyword planner or a little research involving competitor websites can answer your first question. The second thing about keyword density is rule we need to abide by. A minimum of 2% is what Google recommends. Keeping that in mind neither a significantly low or a higher percentage can be helpful.
Content being the safest, most cost-effective and the most impactful method you have to decide the amount you need to put up on you website.
“Then again remember nobody likes to read that much content”
In a statement backlinking is to get more number of websites to point towards your website. Technically speaking different websites must add a hyperlink of your website. More the number of backlinks better is the ranking. Its even better if it is coming from high ranking websites. How do you get more back links?
- Link exchange
- Inter link your parent and sister company websites
- Social media
Step 2: The Magento way
1) Search Engines Friendly URLs:
- a. To enable the Search Engines Friendly URLs in Magento,
- first login to your admin area
- Go to System -> Configuration.
- Next, click on the Web link in the left menu.
- Then expand the Search Engine Optimization tab of options and set the Use Web Server Rewrites option to Yes.
2) Edit your Store Meta Title and Description
A simpletag and tag gives you the liberty to add primary keywords into your website thus leading to better ranking. Now how to accomplish that is quite simple, thanks to the comprehensive Magento back-end.
- Go the Configuration page
- Click on the Design tab on the left
- Expand the HTML Head group of options.
- In the “Default Title” and “Default Description” boxes, write the title and description that you want for your pages. (Remember to use relevant keywords)
Robots.txt help the Google bots/ crawlers to better index your website. Apart from that, the robot.txt file is used to specify to Google whether or not you want Google to index your website or just index a few pages from your website. In the end a robots.txt file is a must for any website online. Let us take a look at one more Magento SEO optimization trick:
- Got to System -> Configuration -> Design -> HTML Heads
- Change “Default Robots” setting to “INDEX, FOLLOW” (this will help search engines index your website)
4) Duplicate Content
Duplicate content is the one Magento SEO enemy you should never make. One such example of duplicate content is when you show same product in multiple categories. The product description becomes duplicate content as it is similar on all category pages. To prevent Magento from generating this kind of duplicate content, you can use “Canonical Link Meta Tag” and set its fields to “Yes” on the same page.
Use meaningful names for your images, like “sony-led-tv-40inch-grey.jpg” instead of “photo1234.jpg”. When adding an image of a product, write a meaningful description to be used as the “title” and “alt tag” for the given image.
To help Google index your site, generate a Google Sitemap automatically as shown below:
- System => Configuration => Google Sitemap
- In the “Generation Settings” box, enable sitemap generation
- You can also modify sitemap settings upon adding a new category or a product, or a page, so that your sitemap comprises of all your new items.
7) Google Webmaster
A Google webmaster tool is free to use SEO tool provided by Google which helps your website get listed on the Google. You can also easily add a “Google Webmaster Tools verification tag” in Magento as follows:
- System => Configuration => Design => HTML Heads
- Put your “Google Webmaster Tools verification tag” in the “Miscellaneous Scripts”.
8) Google Analytics
This helps you keep a track of your website and its performance based on different things like age, gender, location and much more.
- Enable “” by going to this path: System => Configuration => Google API
- Set “Enable option” to “Yes” and type your Account Number in the box.
Step 3: Magento SEO plugin/ Magento SEO extension
Well, plugins are there to make our job easy and provide us with the desired outcome and that’s exactly what they do. Let us take a look at some Magento SEO plugins that can help us with Magento SEO.
- Magento SEOSpace Extension : Magento SEOSpace by Magik is one of the most comprehensive Magento SEO extension that offer various functionalities to help you optimize your Magento store.
- Canonical URL for Magento: Canonical URLs for Magento SEO Extension adds the new canonical links to your Magento pages to avoid duplicate content URL.
- SEO Suite Pro: SEO Suite Pro Extension adds the Canonical URL and Meta tags to the HTML head section of every one of your online Magento store Pages
- MSemantic Basic: This Magento SEO Extension adds the whole information of your online store so that search engine like Google, Yahoo, Bing, ASK will display whole information like Product prices, Product availability and product images.
- SEO Suite Enterprise –SEO Suite Enterprise Extension is packed with all the necessary SEO features that caters to all the Magento SEO services. One key feature includes, transformation of Product Tag URL and RSS Feed URL into search engine friendly.
- SEO Layered Navigation: SEO Layered Navigation extension improves navigation URL to SEO friendly.
- Ultimate SEO Suite: It helps with a lot of things like canonical URL creation to avid duplicate content and many more Magento SEO optimization techniques.
- SEOgento : Without any changes to the source code, your online Magento store will boost its page rank by using this Magento SEO Extension. Features include:
- It adds the manufacturer name on product pages
- It customizes canonical URLs.
- It creates dynamic titles and meta tags for store product and category pages.
After covering all the aspects of Magento SEO, now comes the step to execute one or all of them and see the results for yourself. We recommend you to pick a few and get started and get that traffic you always wanted. Feel free to leave a comment or just simply engage in.